You are here

Our History

La Salle Institute is a seven year, private, Catholic, college preparatory school for boys, accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. It enjoys a long and rich tradition dating back to 1850, and for many years it occupied a building on Fourth Street in South Troy. Its purpose was to transform poor immigrant boys from the grit of Troy, New York into moral, productive and honorable men. 

The story of La Salle is a story about values - truth, duty and honor - and a simple, but profound, precept that educating young men is more than imparting information or developing skills.

In 1891, La Salle was chartered by the Regents of the State of New York, immediately attaining the highest academic diplomas awarded in New York State. The military training program was added to the school that same year. Due to expanding enrollment and the need for a new facility, the school moved to its present location on Williams Road in 1966. The middle school formed in 1972 and added a sixth grade class in 1991. Additional classrooms, new gymnasium, cafeteria and science labs were constructed between 1990 and 2001.

Twice selected as a National School of Excellence by the U.S. Department of Education, La Salle continues to enjoy the prestigious Department of the Army designation of being a JROTC Honor Unit with Distinction. Our JROTC leadership program is an essential component in fostering student growth as both leaders and good citizens. Through this program students learn about, and are encouraged to respect, the foundations of our American Democracy. They are challenged throughout the day to uphold the values of truth, honor and duty in trust. 

La Salle is committed to the highest levels of education by challenging and assisting students in developing 21st century skills. These skills are needed for them to succeed both at the post-secondary level education and in meeting the educational and technological demands of a global society.